Echidna, daughter of Tartarus (The Darkness) and Gaia (The Earth) is called the Mother of Monsters by the Greeks. With her brother Typhon, she bore an almost endless line of mythology's greatest terrors: Cerberus the three-headed guardian of Hades; Orthrus, his two-headed brother; The Lernaean Hydra; Medusa and her sister Gorgons; Ladon, the dragon protector of the golden apples; The Colchian Dragon, guardian of the Golden Fleece; The Caucasian Eagle, tormentor of Prometheus; The Chimera, The Crommyonian Sow; The Nemean Lion; The Sphynx; Scylla and Charybdis and more. She is described as incredibly beautiful, with the upper half of a woman, and, below the waist, the body of an enormous serpent. She is eternal, and undying, and although her brother was imprisoned within Mt. Etna after the siblings attacked Zeus, Echidna and her children were allowed their freedom as a challenge to all future adventurers.
That wraps up this year's 31 Days of Monsters. I hope you enjoyed the selection this year. Please feel free to drop me a line at any time to tell me what you think. Happy Halloween.
Yes, I really did. Very nice work on all your efforts, even if a couple of them weren't "my cup of tea" I found that your explanation as to why you chose them were fascinating. Will you be looking for user submissions for next October? I may have a few. I thought your best were the Sea Serpent, the Mapingary, and this last one is really great. What's your next project going to be?
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed it. I'm always open to suggestions for monsters. My next projects are hopefully to crank out a few short comic stories, and hammer together some ideas I've had for children's books, and get them off to publishers.
ReplyDelete