Here’s
another image I created for the Trick ’r Tiki show. This image and Fireboy, which I posted earlier are done in a style that grew out of
printmaking.
After college, I would have loved to continue working in stone lithography, but it’s an expensive medium, and I didn’t have access to a studio that was equipped for it.
I found, however, that I could achieve a similar style with black China markers, and watercolor.
It’s not a very forgiving technique. You can’t erase China marker, and it takes a long time to build up dark areas. If you make heavy pencil sketches in the beginning, they can show up as white marks when you move to China markers. Mistakes are permanent, and you can end up ruining a drawing that took you forever with bad watercolor washes later on.
It’s not a technique I use often these days, but for misty, dreamlike subjects, it’s brilliant. I’ll try to post more works done in this style in the future.
After college, I would have loved to continue working in stone lithography, but it’s an expensive medium, and I didn’t have access to a studio that was equipped for it.
I found, however, that I could achieve a similar style with black China markers, and watercolor.
It’s not a very forgiving technique. You can’t erase China marker, and it takes a long time to build up dark areas. If you make heavy pencil sketches in the beginning, they can show up as white marks when you move to China markers. Mistakes are permanent, and you can end up ruining a drawing that took you forever with bad watercolor washes later on.
It’s not a technique I use often these days, but for misty, dreamlike subjects, it’s brilliant. I’ll try to post more works done in this style in the future.

No comments:
Post a Comment