Saturday, October 8, 2011

31 Days of Monsters: Day Eight — Mothman

Mothman began appearing in Point Pleasant, West Virginia in the mid 1960s. Described as a large moth or owl-like human, it haunted an explosives storage area on the outskirts of town.
The strange, menacing figure became a harbinger of doom for townspeople, always seeming to appear before tragedy. His appearances culminated in 1967 when he was seen shortly before the collapse of the Silver Bridge over the Ohio River, a tragic event that killed 46 people. He hasn't been seen since.
Some people believe Mothman is tied to UFO sightings in the area at the time, and he may be an alien. Others believe he may be an extra-dimensional animal who somehow slipped sideways through a crack in the Universe, and that he may be as benign to his world as a cow or rabbit seems to us.
Skeptics say that the entire Mothman phenomena was just mass-hysteria, and that what people really saw was a sand-hill crane.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you're doing this...I have something to look forward to everyday, at least for 23 more days;) I'm not sure I could pull something like this off...forcing myself to be creative everyday, when somedays you just don't feel like working. Thanks for your inspiration!!! Crystal

    ReplyDelete