Wednesday, October 15, 2014

31 Days of Monsters 2014: Catoblepas

The Catoblepas was a disgusting beast encountered in Ethiopia by the Greeks. It had the body of a buffalo, the neck of a serpent,  ridged scales down its back, a flail-like tail and a massive tusked head that was so heavy it could only look down. It's bloodshot gaze was enough to stun a man at fifty paces, and because it fed solely on poisonous grasses and roots, it emitted a stench that could kill and allegedly turn a corpse to stone. It's scales and sheer size made it almost impossible to kill, but since it was fairly docile in nature — only killing passively — it was best to just steer clear of them, and hope they never wandered too near a settlement.

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome. Thanks for the illustration!!! I hope the Jabberwocky is coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, and yes, that was inspired by your suggestion. I could never do the Jabberwocky better than Sir John Tenniel's original illustration for Through the Looking Glass, so I don't think I'll try.

    ReplyDelete